Thursday 8 November 2012

The Fan Trick - it works and I have the proof!

Hello! I have a valuable lesson today and one I first learnt from Sweet Sugar Belle. It's fairly simple, but makes a big impact on your cookies, as you will see from my photos (hopefully my photography is not the best)! SugarBelle's post is here.


I don't know if you can see with my bad photograph (on my list of tings to work on!) but the cookie on the left was dried with a fan blowing on it. Just a simple small desktop fan.

The one on the right was left to "air dry". The cookie on the left is shiny, smooth and looks lovely. The one on the right is matt, dull and well just not right in my opinion!

Here are some close up's so hopefully you can see what I mean better: 

The one above is the one dried in front of the fan. Can you see the shine on it and how smooth it looks?? I have not put anything on this (pearl dust etc) that is just the light playing off the shiny icing :) 


This is the one left to air dry. Can you see how the icing looks almost crystalised? It sort of looks pretty in the photo's (kinda sparkly) but in real life it looks rather dull compared to the one above. They also feel different. The one above (airdried) feels rough - almost like a very fine grade sandpaper! Not very appetising! 

You don't need to invest in big drying racks and large fans like SweetSugarBelle, (unless you want to of course!) below is my fan:
Its probably only about 20cm (8") tall and 
was sold as a desktop fan from a discount store for $2! 
It does the job for drying about 3-4 cookies sheets at once.

Drying cookies with a fan is really a big help too if you live in a hot and humid climate. Another trick you might like to look into is using a food dehydrator.  
Georganne from Lilaloa has a great post here. I have not invested in a dehydrator as yet, but this is my first summer as a cookier so that might change!

Hoping your cookies shine from now on!

Thanks everyone for stopping by!


Find me on Facebook : www.facebook.com/BelleissimoCookies 




No comments:

Post a Comment